Saturday, July 7, 2007

Batman Action Figure and Puppet.


Batman Action Figure and Puppet.
Originally uploaded by V G.

Here's something new and something old.
I like both of them for different reasons.
I'm a superhero fan from way back. I like Batman and his
Bruce Wayne self. This new Batman action figure by Mattel is great because it uses the extreme block-like sculpting which today's cartoon superheroes are using. I think it's a fun style. The puppet I just got from my mother in-law is probably about 20-25 years old, maybe more. She has a fondness for toys from
other countries, particularly hand-made toys. She had this Batman puppet and let me keep him once she saw my interest in him. His strings need repair. He was made in Mexico, but she said she thinks she remembers buying him in downtown LA at Olivera Street, the street dedicated to Mexican culture which has shops with trinkets and souvenirs. It sounds very likely. In my spare time (which is extremely rare and super limited these days) I want to eventually re-string the puppet Batman. If I have more time (in my dreams) I want to make a puppet. Also, in my dreams, I want to make a little puppet theatre stage. I would have so much fun. We'll see. It might happen in the distant future. I have another friend who has some string puppets from Spain. We could stage little puppet shows. Anyway, those are some fun things that I would do if I had unlimited time to just do stuff. I'll keep it in my list of fun things I want to do.

2 comments:

patrice said...

I love Olivera St., and I love making puppets too! Bill and I made Annie a puppet theater for her 4th Christmas and she still uses it. I made it a tri-fold using thick foam core and then covered it with marbled paper over raw edges, then a felt on felt design to finish it off. Really fun and really easy.
I also share in your spare-time fantasies....
Warmly,
Patrice

Project Pink Suitcase said...

Thank you for your comment Patrice,as always!
That sounds like the best gift ever. Wow, if I ever do get to make a puppet theatre I will let you know about it. Maybe for right now I'll do something simple.
The foam core idea sounds doable.
Also for puppet construction, it might be more realistic for me to execute making a hand puppet instead of a complicated string puppet. Yes, I have lots of spare time fantasies. ~VG