Monday, April 2, 2007

PebbleBeach Golf Course 17thHole


PebbleBeach Golf Course 17thHole
Originally uploaded by V G.

I did this watercolor over the weekend. It's 11 x 14" on an Arches block of watercolor paper. No Chinese white or gouache was added. I kept my watercolor pure. I'm not a total purist, but I have my moments of it. I have nothing against adding white or gouache to a watercolor, I'm just mentioning it because I didn't use any opaque pigments. A few of you may get the humor in this. Otherwise it is just a note of what I did and did not do.

How was I inspired to do this?
Through blogging, Pam in Colorado mentioned she was painting her bathroom from pink to green. Then it sparked an idea for me to do some painting on the house. Why not start a mural in my backyard related to golf? After browsing through a couple golf books, I kept coming back to the Pebble Beach course.
Then, it was the 17th hole that seemed most inspiring. I started painting some green in my backyard to start, then at night I painted this watercolor to get more of a feel for what I was about to attempt in the mural as sort of a warm-up. The mural will be more of a square compostion, so I haven't totally figured that out yet. I'll just see how it goes. I may have to do another watercolor just to see.

If all goes well, I'll post some progress shots of the back yard mural project as I go along. It may take me a year to paint it, but I'll do it.
I have to paint during the weekends and during my son's naptime. This gives me about 2-4 hours per weekend depending on the duration of the naps... so that is not a lot. I already started some of the green for the green on the wall, so now I'm commited. It will be fun. I have needed to do something like this.

3 comments:

Green Kitchen said...

You're so funny in more ways than one.

Anonymous said...

Your project sounds more fun than mine! The best I will do in my backyard is spraying a stain and sealent on our wood fence. To tell the truth, I'll probably watch! ;)

One day I intend to paint in watercolor, oils, acrylics... In the meantime I do bathrooms and bedrooms. Gotta practice somewhere.

patrice said...

Mmmmmm. Love the mow marks.
I'll keep tuning in to see the mural.
I'm inspired.