Sunday, April 15, 2007

My Inner Diego














Here's progress on the Pebble Beach Golf Links, 17th hole mural... I'm still blocking it out and laying in the basic shapes. I've made more progress since this photo today, but I have not gotten a good photo of it yet.
My son is already testing out his golf club in front of it.

Painting this mural is bringing out my inner Diego.
Besides many other things, one thing that separates me from Diego Rivera is today's Home Depot. I was able
to buy "Ooops" house paint for $1/quart and $5/gallon. What a deal. Part of using "Ooops" paint is luck. There has to be a color that someone made an ooops on while mixing for it to be an "Ooops" paint. It's random, but so far I have had luck. I found 3 shades of green and a gallon of blue.
Diego's painting is far from house paint. He painted frescoes. The "true fresco" technique consists of painting on a wet plaster surface (usually a wall or ceiling), using pigments mixed with limewater. The only connection to Diego would be that I am painting a mural. Other than that, it is a very loose concept.
I think I just like the feeling it evokes. For me to say I am bringing out my inner Diego feels like I am bringing out some thing I am kind of familiar with, but still has lots of room to explore. I have no idea if this makes any sense. Plus, with using house paint, I am also feeling a little like Pollock, although I am not dripping it intentionally. I am not using enamel, but instead it is waterbased latex. I'll still call it a "stretch of the imagination" Diego-Pollock combo with a touch of David Hockney. I just mentioned Hockney because I was thinking of his pool paintings. I love the squiggles in his water. So graphic. What I painted today reminded me of Hockney. You'll see when I get around to posting it.
So it is a Diego-Pollock-Hockney...and doesn't look like any of them. It's just what I am thinking about when I am painting.
One quart of Oops paint. Dark Green.

2 comments:

patrice said...

I love your connections to other artists!! Painting in such a large scale and on a wall that is big must feel exciting and a bit nerve racking! I see the Hockeny thing big time. Did you do a scale type transfer of your design or did you just wing it? I'm curious too about brushes, etc. Did you use rollers for any of it?
I was just in LA and got back last night.
Love seeing your work!
P-

Project Pink Suitcase said...

Hi Patrice!
Thank you for your comment!
It's always nice to see your words posted here and to see your blog, which I love seeing. To answer your questions... I just went for it without doing any type of transfer. I did do a small 11 x 14" watercolor (previously posted) that I was looking at, but that's about it. Actually your comment there inspired me to think more about the mow marks. Hence the David Hockney connection. When I did the watercolor I didn't take into consideration the square format of the mural area, unless I decided to paint over the door area. I didn't really want to paint over the door area, so the mural is a square. Basically I just started very simple with the green area since it is the most dominant. That was the first thing I blocked in. I have some other ideas for the door that I am going to explore more later. Some ideas are a coat of arms with golf clubs or the Pebble Beach Golf Links logo or a pretend family crest incorporating golf clubs.
As for using rollers...no, I didn't use any rollers, but it would have
speeded up the process if I did use them for the larger areas.
The brushes I used were the simple
cheap, wood handle, hog bristle, house painting chip brushes at Home Depot. 1" width, 2" width, and I think up to 4" width.
I didn't want to use a brush that I adore since the stucco would rip it to shreds. Plus, I do have a couple of old chip brushes that have survived a lot of my painting projects that I have grown attached to even though I originally bought them thinking they were cheap and easy to replace.
Again your comments inspire many words from me as does your blog.