Thursday, March 13, 2008

Starbucks Bathroom Art


Starbucks Bathroom Art
Originally uploaded by V G.

Ok, you know I'm getting desperate for art when I begin to admire art in the bathroom at Starbucks. When I saw this I had to take a photo on my cellphone. First of all, it is a print of a painting mounted onto a frame. So, does it even qualify as real art? Either way, I have to admit, I still do like it for it's simple
graphics combined with an abstract quality. Somebody, somewhere painted the original, Photoshoped it or created it. Plus, I'm a coffee addict.
I know it's better to keep it in moderation, but I still tend to overdue my coffee intake at times. I do like the coffee cup symbol. A couple other things I like about them are their size and shape. Ever since the Sandwich series, I have favored a small square format. There is something nice about it. The other thing that seems funny to me and very modern art in a Duchampian way is the air freshner mounted to the top of the first painting. Odd, funny and reminds us we are in a bathroom. It is a very space specific piece which also has roots in
a lot of installation type of art. I could write a ton more on this, but to get back to my point, I have been a little starved for art.
The heart sees what it wants to see. I'm happy to report that since my last post and before I saw this art at Starbucks I did start a painting. It is a square shape almost the same as these I saw at Starbucks.

2 comments:

patrice said...

looking forward to seeing your new work!
mine's taking forever because so many days pass before i get back to it.

p-

Anna Graham Shonle said...

Hey Valerie!
I replied to your first comment on my LJ post about donuts, but then I realized that you'd never get notified because you were commenting anonymously. You may have already found it, but just in case I thought I'd drop you a note here. I just posted the donut pictures tonight. :)
Anyway, thanks for stopping by my blog!
-Anna