Thursday, January 17, 2008

Beauty and the Cheese


Beauty
Originally uploaded by V G.

I couldn't resist posting this.
Can you say "kitsch"?
I just went on a rant in my head and in email format to a friend (you know who you are) about an essay on "Beauty" by Jeremy Gilbert-Rolfe. I was remembering former art instructors, when suddenly Jeremy came to mind. He was a big influence on me during my time in art school. I recently admitted to never being able to get through one of his essays in one sitting. Then, I recently tried to read and get through "Beauty", but fell short about three quarters of the way through the reading with a huge headache. Jeremy has a way with words which exercise the mind. I can only describe my fascination with Jeremy in a "love-hate" kind of way. I admire him for his attempt at trying to describe something which is practically undescribable from my "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" point of view. I also admire him for his English accent and cranky view on American art production. What I do not like is that I am still trying to figure out Jeremy. This just emphasizes the influence he has made on me. So, when I saw this factory sewn, "Those who look for beauty find it" I thought of Jeremy. I'm sure he would cringe at this, but might get a slight kick out of it because it is so NOT him, but is him in a weird way. It's Jeremy in a kitsch form. I wonder if other students who had Jeremy as an instructor would agree?

2 comments:

patrice said...

Love the title of this blog! Was he at Art Center?

Project Pink Suitcase said...

Yes, he was when I was there in the Fine Art Graduate program in 1990. I was an undergraduate at the time, but I was allowed to take a couple of Graduate courses if I wanted to in my last couple of terms there.
I think he still teaches at Art Center since I still see his name on the Faculty list on ACCD's website. He is a very interesting man.