Sunday, June 24, 2007

Bee Nest


Bee Nest
Originally uploaded by V G.

We found this bee nest while looking at
a hillside which was burned about a month and half ago.
It is what's left after the fire. No bees. Since the nest was not active we could really take a look at it. It looked like the bees had a well made honey comb dwelling. There were other little holes nearby this larger entrance which the bees probably used as alternate ways to get in and out.
We also saw lots of spider
webs with holes in the dirt. I do not like spiders, but I can appreciate
their intricate webs. It's almost the time of year for the Orb Weaver spider to appear in our neighborhood. They are fairly large...up to a dime in diameter. I am slightly paranoid of spiders so I looked up the Orb Weaver on the internet to identify it to make sure it was not poisonous. It is not. I was relieved to find this out. Anyway, the Orb Weaver makes large webs very quick. They work fast and are interesting to watch. The not so fun part is accidently walking into a web.
There is currently a Spider exhibit at the LA Zoo, which we may go to see.
I guess I like to freak myself out. My husband thinks I'm crazy when it comes to spiders. Actually, the truth I am finding out, is the more I understand spiders the less I am afraid of them. Also, knowing what spiders I really should be cautious of helps, as opposed to being freaked out by all spiders.

No comments: