Thursday, December 6, 2007

Native American Dancer


Native American Dancer
Originally uploaded by V G.

This Native American did a dance and storytelling at my son's daycare last Friday for their annual Fall Festival. I was very impressed with him and how he presented himself. He told a story of the flute and did some samples of different Native American dances. Part of me (I'm sure it's the 50% Chippewa) wants to know more about the Native American stories. Over this past Thanksgiving my mom, who is 100% Chippewa reminded me that Iron Eyes Cody, Hollywood's most famous Indian, was not really even an Indian. Ironically, he fooled just about everyone, even myself when I was young. He was a good actor and really lived the part. I'm going off on a tangent here, but an interesting fact is that my grandma lived next door to Iron Eyes Cody in Silverlake, CA when I was very young for many years. When visiting my grandma, I got to go next door and visit Iron Eyes Cody and had always believed he was an Indian. He had many great Indian costumes. My grandma was a good friend to him. Iron Eyes attended my grandmother's funeral in 1992. Just Google "Iron Eyes Cody" and see the Wikipedia definition. It's interesting. In his heart and soul, he was a Native American. And...going back to this image I posted, it reminded me of
how little I know of my Native American heritage. One day I'd like to explore more of the storytelling.

1 comment:

patrice said...

Cool story about Iron Eyes Cody and your Grandma! and how cool for Zachary and all the kids to see authentic Native culture. I'd love to explore more too, with Annie given her heritage.