Saturday, August 25, 2007

Indian Princess: My Grandmother


Indian Princess: My Grandmother
Originally uploaded by V G.

Here is a photo taken in approximately 1937 of my grandmother who is 19 years old in this photo. She was an Indian Princess. She grew up on Walpole Island, on the border of Canada and the US near the Great Lakes in Michigan. Later, she moved
west to Los Angeles with her husband and seven children. She had three sons and four daughters. She was married to another Indian. He was from a different tribe. I don't know all the details. I'll have to ask my mom.
My mom is full blooded Indian. This makes me 50% Chippewa Indian. My other 50%, from my dad's side is a French-Dutch combo. I'm not exactly sure. It's something European. I should find out more from my dad. Anyway, I love this photo of my grandma. She was such a giving person. I have the best memories of her. Pure love.

1 comment:

patrice said...

I'm jealous of your rich heritage, and I can totally see your face in the face of your Indian Princess Grandmother! What a treasure this picture is. Annie loved it too. She is Cherokee Indian and loves anything or anyone that's connected to American Indians. Wouldn't it be fun to take the kids to some gathering or tribal festival?

And yes! Gardena is very close to LAX. And you live very close to LAX! Hmmmm. A visit is very possible!